Details for NOTICE OF SPECIAL COUNTY ONE PERCENT SALES AND USE TAX ELECTION ON NOVEMBER 8
OF SPECIAL COUNTY ONE PERCENT
SALES AND USE TAX ELECTION ON NOVEMBER 8, 2016
Pursuant to a resolution adopted by the Board of Commissioners of Glynn County on July 21, 2016, and a call for an election issued by the Glynn County Board of Elections and Registration, notice is hereby given as follows:
1. On November 8, 2016, an election will be held in Glynn County to submit to the qualified voters of Glynn County the following question:
Shall a special 1 percent sales and use tax be imposed in the special district of Glynn County for a period of time not to exceed fourteen calendar quarters and for the raising of an estimated amount of $71,595,000 for the purpose of funding the acquisition, construction, and equipping of the following capital outlay projects: (i) road paving, resurfacing, reconstruction, extension, and widening for Glynn County; intersection and traffic flow improvements for Glynn County; road and public parking lot resurfacing for Jekyll Island; street milling, paving, and other road infrastructure improvements, including wayfinding and gateways, for the City of Brunswick; (ii) drainage and storm water improvements for the City of Brunswick and Glynn County, including bridge construction for Glynn County; (iii) sidewalks for Glynn County; sidewalks and trails for the City of Brunswick; (iv) improvements to sewer systems in the City of Brunswick and Glynn County; (v) public safety radios and police and fire vehicles for the City of Brunswick; and (vi) veterans' memorial and courthouse parking improvements for Glynn County and renovation, restoration, rehabilitation, and improvement of public buildings, facilities, and property for the City of Brunswick, including Fire Station 1, Senior Center, and parks, squares, and cemetery in the City of Brunswick.
2. All qualified voters desiring to vote in favor of imposing the tax shall vote "Yes" and all qualified voters opposed to levying the tax shall vote "No". If more than one half of the votes cast are in favor of imposing the tax, then the tax shall be imposed beginning April 1, 2017.
3. The last day to register to vote in the election is October 11, 2016. Anyone desiring to register may do so by applying in person at the voter registration office located at the Glynn County Board of Elections and Registration, 1815 Gloucester Street, Brunswick, Georgia 31520, or by any other method authorized by the Georgia Election Code.
4. All proceeds of the tax shall be disbursed in accordance with O.C.G.A. 48-8-115, which provides that one percent of the amount collected shall be paid into the general fund of the state treasury in order to defray the costs of administration, and the remainder of the proceeds of the tax shall be distributed to the governing authority of Glynn County. Such proceeds of the tax shall then be distributed among Glynn County and the City of Brunswick based on the ratio that the population of the City of Brunswick bears to the total population of Glynn County. According to the last official census conducted by the United States Census Bureau in 2010 the population of the City of Brunswick was 15,383 (19.32% of Glynn County) and the population of the unincorporated portions of Glynn County was 64,243 (80.68% of Glynn County).
5. The election will be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. The polls will be open from 7:00a.m. until 7:00p.m.
This 14th day of September, 2016.
County Board of
- Man shot dead on St. Simons Island
- Glynn County man, 21, dies in motorcycle crash
- HGTV to remodel, give away St. Simons Island home
- Police seek Brunswick man in shooting
- Driftwood Beach to air tonight in The Walking Dead
- American Grit to film on Jekyll Island
- Police: Shooting does not yet warrant charges
- St. Simons fires disrupt lives in wake of Matthew
- Harris sexts woman the day son dies
- Historic inspiration for new traditions guides Sea Island Forge
- To view our latest e-Edition click the image on the left.
Find a local business