With G8 Summit Room at Sea Island as a backdrop, U.S. Congressman Buddy Carter, R-1, congratulated students from St. Francis Xavier Catholic School for being named the Most Outstanding School at the Model U.N. Conference held at Georgia Southern University recently. Carter also shared stories and experiences from his work as a Congressman and member of the Homeland Security Committee. He congratulated all of the students for their success and encouraged them in their pursuits of leadership and service.
St. Francis Xavier Catholic School has been taking part in Model U.N. conferences at Georgia Southern University since 1994. Model U.N. is a simulation of the United Nations in which students assume the role of delegates from countries around the world and discuss proposed resolutions to deal with questions of international importance in today’s world. Students must research not only issues but also the countries that they represent and fashion their responses to the resolutions as citizens of their respective countries. St. Francis Xavier is proud to have received the Outstanding School Award for the sixth time in the last 14 years. The conference recognized 15 St. Francis students for individual honors including Sydney Ritola as Outstanding Delegate in the General Assembly, Shayma Patel and Kelsey Ann Cabiness as Outstanding Delegation in General Assembly and Katie Ann Walsh as Outstanding Delegate in the Human Rights Council. Schools from around Georgia participate in the conference held every year at Georgia Southern.
The students enjoyed learning about the history of the G8 Summit held at Sea Island in 2004. They had the opportunity to ask Carter questions about his recent travels and whether he saw himself eventually serving in Congress when he was in middle school. The students also recognized the hard work of their advisers, Toni Tennent, a language arts and history teacher at St. Francis Xavier, and Wayne Ervin, who recently retired from teaching at St. Francis Xavier, but who still advises the program he coached through its many years of success.
• Outstanding Delegate Human Rights Council — Katie Ann Walsh, France.
• Outstanding Delegate General Assembly — Sydney Ritola, France.
• Outstanding Delegation General Assembly — Shyama Patel and Kelsey Ann Cabiness, Tunisia.
• Distinguished Delegate Security Council — Anna Vrolijk, France.
• Distinguished Delegate Human Rights Council — Alex Mitchell, Vietnam.
• Distinguished Delegate African Union — Montana Webb, Tunisia.
• Distinguished Delegation General Assembly — Sydney Ritola and Dylan McHugh, France and Anna Beck, Honduras.
• Honorable Mention Human Rights Council — Aidan Sturm, Panama, not pictured.
• Honorable Mention Delegation General Assembly — Ares Ellis and Emma Heys, Vietnam; Maria Barr and Ivan Barr, Panama; Hayley Turpin and Riley Mansfield, Norway and Ryan Walsh and Cab Cabiness, Belarus.
Pictured are members of the Model U.N. team with Rep. Buddy Carter, R-1. Not pictured are Katie Anne Walsh, Anna Beck, Aidan Sturm, Hayley Turpin and Riley Mansfield.