Friday, Jan. 13
• “Celebrating Diversity,” the annual Martin Luther King Jr. breakfast, will begin at 8 a.m. at College Place United Methodist Church, 3890 Altama Ave., Brunswick. The guest speaker will be Judge Glenda Hatchett. Cost is $20 per person. Sponsored by Coastal Georgia Area Community Action Authority.
• Scrabble Club will meet at 10 a.m. at the Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick.
• Baby Storytime, for babies and toddlers up to 24-months-old,will begin at 10:30 a.m. at the St. Simons Island Public Library, 530 Beachview Drive, St. Simons Island.
Saturday, Jan. 14
• “Grits and Issues,” presented by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Brunswick Alumnae Chapter, will begin at 8 a.m. at the Coastal Georgia Community Action Authority, 1 Community Action Drive, Brunswick. Topics and panelists will include human trafficking, Officer Kizzler Knight; gangs, Officer Ashley Williams; bullying, Officer Marsha Myers-Bue and mental health issues, Dr. Charmaine Ramsay Thomas.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service activities will begin at 9 a.m. in Palmetto Park, Orange Park and Fourth Street, all in Brunswick, and on Sapelo Island. Volunteers welcome.
• Pull for a Kid Tug 0’ War will be from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Howard Coffin Park, Brunswick, followed by an after-party at Indigo Coastal Shanty, downtown. Admission is free.
• Adult mermaid class will begin at 1 p.m. at the YMCA, 144 Scranton Connector, Brunswick. Details: 265-4100.
• Children’s mermaid class will begin at 1:50 p.m. at the YMCA, 144 Scranton Connector, Brunswick. Details: 265-4100.
• National Alliance on Mental Illness Recovery Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. at Southeast Georgia Health System, 3011 Kemble Ave., Brunswick. Meetings are for those who have mental illnesses and their families. Details: 506-2963.
• St. Simons Land Trust Oyster Roast will be from 5 to 8 p.m. at Gascoigne Bluff, St. Simons Island. Tickets are $75 each. Details: 638-9109.
Monday, Jan. 16
• Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Parade will begin at 10:30 a.m. at Howard Coffin Park and proceed on Gloucester Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, G Street and Albany Street before proceeding to Selden Park, 3227 Newcastle St., Brunswick, where a program, featuring District 168 Ga. State Rep. Al Williams, D-Midway, will be the guest speaker. The event is sponsored by the Dr. Martin Luther King Commemoration Committee. A meal, provided by the local International Longshoreman’s Union, will be provided following the rally.
• “Make America Love Again,” in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a youth and children celebration, will feature performances by Glyndale Elementary, Burroughs-Molette Elementary, Bethel Evangel Voices, Golden Isles Elementary School, Zion Baptist Youth, Royal Ambassadors and The Rock, at 6 p.m. at Evangelistic Church of God, 1816 Stonewall St., Brunswick.
Tuesday, Jan. 17
• Toddlers’ Storytime will begin at 10:30 a.m. at the St. Simons Island Public Library, 530 Beachview Drive, St. Simons Island.
• Lunchtime yoga will begin at 12:30 p.m. at the Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick.
• Hattie’s Book Club will meet at 6:15 p.m. at the Brunswick-Glynn County Library, 208 Gloucester St., Brunswick. January’s selection is “The Jew Store” by Stella Suberman.
• Coastal Georgia Audubon Society will hold its January meeting at 7 p.m. at the International Seafarers’ Center, 307 Newcastle St., Brunswick.